Re: [Orgmode] POLL: should we export text before the first headline

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] POLL: should we export text before the first headline
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 21:07:26 +0100

On Mar 18, 2007, at 16:34, Xiao-Yong Jin wrote:

Hi everyone,

I would like to collect opinions on this issue:

Currently, exporting only starts at the first headline,
ignoring anything before it.  There have been request to change
this, I'd like to know if this would break someone's habits.

So do you use the space before the first headline to put notes/text
that should not be exported?

It is definitely very handy if you can put some links,
internal or external, before the first headline, so that you
can access some places much easier.  In that case, some
people may not want to export that few lines.  However, I
would vote for adding a new custom variable to control that
behavior.  It is all about choices.  Nevertheless, don't
export the line with `-*- mode: org -*-' or any in-buffer
options.

Well, even if we export the stuff before the first headline, there would
be ways to place stuff there that would not be exported, for example
by using a COMMENT section like

* COMMENT here is where I put my internal links etc

   Here is my stuff

By the way, the first line with the -*- mode: org -*- should always be
a comment - this is a bug I will fix.

Anyway, I also like my space before the first headline for internal links
and other ramblings, so the default will remain to not exporting it.

There will come an options for those who need to get this part exported
as well.

Thanks to everyone for input.

- Carsten