Re: [Orgmode] Re: Suggest a new feature for org-remember-templates

From: Eddward DeVilla
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Suggest a new feature for org-remember-templates
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 11:45:45 -0600

On 1/15/07, Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:
"Eddward DeVilla" <address@hidden> writes:

> It would be nice to have a 'hot-key' interface to generate a project
> tree.  I've looked a little at form and template packages for emacs
> to see if any look like they'd let me easily create a template to
> generate a basic "Project Tree" for my org files.

Can you copy-and-paste an example of a Project Tree ?

Ya.  I suppose it would have been useful to do that.  :-)  Sorry.
Most of my org files have a *projects heading with a template like the
following.

*** COMMENT Template

***** Quick Info
     |-----------------+---|
     | Problem Report  |   |
     | Release         |   |
     | estimate        |   |
     |-----------------+---|
     | Begin Code      |   |
     | Base Code Done  |   |
     | Extra Code Done |   |
     | Testing Done    |   |
     |-----------------+---|
     | Code Level      |   |
     | Build ENV       |   |
     |-----------------+---|

***** Status Log

***** [/] Investigate
     - [] Question 1

***** [/] Base Work
     - [ ] step 1

***** [/] Extra Credit Work
     - [*] step 1

***** Verification
     - [0/0] Base test set
       - [ ] Test 1

I copy and paste it in below the template, remove the COMMENT keyword
and give a real title and set tags as needed.

The Quick info is stuff I tend to have to look at or cut-n-paste
often.  I fill it in as I can and I use Inactive timestamps in it.

The Status Log is just a plain list of information.  Each entry starts
with a '-' and an inactive timestamp.  It serves as a project diary.
I usually add an entry when I create the project.

Investigate is a checklist tree of things I need to know or verify.
Answer can go in thee tree or in the status log depending on how long
winded it is.

Base Work is a micro-managed list of things that need to get done to
complete the project.  It can grow as the investigation progresses.

Extra Credit Work are things that can be done 'while I'm in the area'
or touch a piece of code.  Targets of opportunity so to speak.  They
aren't essential and should not hold up completion.

Verification is testing.  I organize my test cases here and track
their progress (and sometime regress).

Sorry if that was too much information.  For the purpose of the
templates, I'd love to be able to enter the Title, tags & TODO state
as well as the first status entry.  If I could add Quick info too,
that would be great.  I doubt it would be appropriate to fill in
Investigate, Base/Extra Work or Verification yet, but I would like to
say if the project needed each of those sections.  Some projects are
simple enough that they only need Base Work.  Some projects are
investigate only.  Some projects (aka problems) are too hot to have a
drawn out investigation or extra tag-a-long work.  It would be
important to have it land in the correct category/file.  For me, I'd
like it to be inserted under '* Projects'.

Anyhow, this isn't make or break for me, but it would be useful.  It
is very specific to how I work and I'm not sure how to do it or make
it general enough for others.  What Leo is saying about using remember
to prompt with a template sounds interesting.  I may have to put table
formulas aside for a bit and look at remember first.

Edd