Re: [Orgmode] Dragging URLs to an org buffer

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Dragging URLs to an org buffer
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 13:58:14 +0200

On Oct 3, 2006, at 19:27, Piotr Zielinski wrote:

Hi,

Here's a piece of elisp that allows you to drag URLs from a webbrowser
(or other apps) to an org buffer.

Great.

Any suggestions welcome.  The functionality is now part of org-mouse
(I think it requires Emacs 22):

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~pz215/files/org-mouse.el

I like the functionality, but I do find it too specialized to make this behavior the default. So I would weaken it, or enclose turning it on into a customization variable. The reasons why I find it too intrusive the way it is now are:

- You enforce a colon for adding to the end of the line
- you enforce a particular type of bullet.
- when inserting in a empty line, the color switches to fixed-width quotation - people might want to use drag-and-drop to insert something into the text that happens to be a bullet item.

Proposals:

- Don't enforce the colon when inserting at the end of the line.
- In the middle of a line, just insert there.
- If the current line is a bullet or a headline, *and* if you drop *on* either the bullet or the headline stars, then make a new headline/bullet for the dragged text. Always make the bullet after the current line. (well, when inserting in front of a bullet, you could insert before the current...)
- Respect the type of bullet:  numbered, -, +, *.

- Carsten