Re: [Emacs-orgmode] Re: Midnight and noon in agendas

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Emacs-orgmode] Re: Midnight and noon in agendas
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 22:46:49 +0200

Hi Christian,

thanks for pointing to the relevant standards.

On Jun 2, 2006, at 19:24, Christian Schlauer wrote:

I see the problem, but I don't like these time formats at all. I'd
prefer if the agenda would show me things that are scheduled "early"
the next day (before 06:00, for example, should be configurable) on
the previous day already (and on the actual day).

I agree that this would be nice, but because the technical way in which the agenda is constructed, this would be hard to implement. The way it works is like this:

1. The agenda collects all entries for the given date.
2. The it checks if the entry specifies a time-of day in any way. Org-mode is very tolerant in this. Times may be specified as part of a timestamp, but also in many free-format ways.

To implement what you ask for, I would have to collect entries for two different dates, check for times, throw away the ones with the second date and either not time at all, or a time larger than your limit. All this is possible, but has significant overhead. The purpose of the week agenda is to show entries of the next day at least in close proximity to entries of the current day.

Still, this is a good idea, and I will put it on my todo list, scheduled for a long winter day evening :-)

Also, 26:00 is against the rules ;-)

That is certainly true, but I see no reason to explicitly forbid them. This is something that can be easily left at a users discretion, don't you agree?

- Carsten

--
Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam