[Emacs-orgmode] Re: org-mode workflow

From: Thomas Baumann
Subject: [Emacs-orgmode] Re: org-mode workflow
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 16:55:25 +0200

Austin Frank <address@hidden> writes:

> 1)  Do you find it to be more convenient to have one file per topic
> (research.org, personal.org, etc), or one directory per topic with
> more specific files within it (research/project1.org,
> personal/finances.org)?

I'm having all relevant data (projects, personal, other) in one file and
use the archive function to clean up the main file. Some very big files
are linked to my main file.

> 2)  Within an org file, do you find it more effective to maintain one
> tree for tasks and other trees for notes, or do you mix notes and
> tasks within the same trees?

mixed, I like to have everything together for export, printing and so
on.

> 3)  If you use remember with org, what role does it play in your work
> flow?  When do you find yourself reaching for a remember note instead
> of using an org link or editing an org file directly?

I don't use remember.

> 4)  Does anyone use timeclock.el with org?  Have you found other ways
> to track time allocation using built-in org functions?

Not really necessary, because org can calculate time spans and you can
easily insert timestamps with times.

> 5)  What's the one trick you're most pleased to have discovered, or
> the one feature that changed your routine most once you began to use
> it?

Having discovered org-mode in the NEWS section of emacs-22 certainly
changed the way I use emacs, thanks Carsten!

And of course being able to link everything (including emails, pdfs,
tex-files) into one file results in a nice workflow.

Thomas