dr-geo

Re: [Dr. Geo] DrGWrappedPoint versus Point

From: Hilaire Fernandes
Subject: Re: [Dr. Geo] DrGWrappedPoint versus Point
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 14:12:07 +0200

Regarding the abstraction with the Wrapped object, these middle man exist not because distinction between Smalltalk Point (5@5) and DrGeo Point but because for each geometric object, you have underneath several objects involved: the model (DrGMathItem class hierarchy), the view (DrGMorph hierarchy) and the style (DrGStyle).

When programming Smalltalk sketch, you don't want the user to deal with this distinction. Therefore the wrapped object will handle the message and forward it to the appropriate object(s), the model, the view or the style. It makes the user code more elegant and compact.

Observe how the complexity is hidden to the user:

DrGWrappedPoint>>coordinates
	^ self mathItem point

DrGWrappedPoint>>round
	self style shape: #round

DrGWrappedItem>>hide
	self style hidden: true.
	morph forcedVisibility: false.

In your Smalltalk sketch, if you want some description regarding your object, you can ask its model:

segment mathItem then send #printText or #descriptiveName. Browse the DrGMathItem class and its parents