dr-geo

Re: [Dr. Geo] Please explain difference between Smalltalk Sketches and D

From: Hilaire Fernandes
Subject: Re: [Dr. Geo] Please explain difference between Smalltalk Sketches and DrGeo Sketches
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 13:05:32 +0200

Hi David,

Both XML and ST file result in an interactive DrGeo sketch.

There are two different ways to design Sketches: one with mouse and click, this is the legacy way of designing sketch; and by code.

The Cuis version of DrGeo is now equipped with an additional tool (the Pharo version of DrGeo lacked it).  It is the SmalltalkSketchEditor and its companion tool the SmalltalkSketchBrowser. The tools are designed specifically with  code in mind. I have to confess Cuis really makes things easier and is an enabler. You should use these tools when you want to play with Smalltalk sketch.

Sadly, from the DrGeo application you can't execute a Smalltalk Sketch, there is no blocker it can't be done. I am not sure I want to spend time on the extra work. I rather concentrate effort in the SmalltalkSketchEditor, it is my test bed for playing/editing/controlling dynamic model by script in my Dynabook project (http://github.com/hilaire/dynabook) and because of that I am very interested in suggestions to improve these tools or thought on the overall concept.

Observe, that in the SmalltalkSketchEditor right view, you have access to the DrGeo menu:

editor

As we we are discussing about XML/ST format. It should be possible to save mouse & clic sketch in Smalltalk code. Not sure the code will be nice though, because of the references between objects. Could be a very interesting student project focused on making such code the most human readable as possible.

By the way, can you answer to my question in my previous email? I will know if I need or not to adjust the label of the button I was talking about.

Hilaire