[Dfey-nw-discuss] FWD: [Sheflug] Stuart Langridge talk on Free Software,

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: [Dfey-nw-discuss] FWD: [Sheflug] Stuart Langridge talk on Free Software, 6th October
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 01:21:34 +0100

I'm not sure if this is convenient for anyone...
Stuart generally gives pretty cool talks in my experience[1] [2].

I'm not going to be able to make it as I have a polish exchange partner staying but I'd be quite interested in meeting the Sheffield Free Software Society people :)

Info on next DFEY meeting coming soon :)

Tim

Chris Warburton wrote:
Hi everyone, I wanted to let the LUG know that the University's Free Software Society will be hosting a talk by Stuart Langridge (Web developer and Free Software advocate of LUG Radio fame) on Monday 6th October.

The talk will be about the importance and impact of software freedom, and having been to some of Stuart's other talks I can say that it will definitely be interesting, humourous and most likely a little offensive :P It's aimed at those new to the community, so I'd encourage as many people to come as possible if you want to learn more about the philosophy of GNU, Linux and Free Software in general.

We're currently trying to sort out a bigger room so that's in a bit of limbo at the moment, but we're meeting beforehand at the Swim Inn on West Street/Glossop Road at 7pm*. Look for some Free Software tshirts or possibly my ridiculously large hair. The talk itself should be from around 8:30-9:30, I'll send exact room details when they're finalised for those who can't make it to the Swim Inn. If you're part of the University (student or staff), are a current student with an NUS card, or are a member of the Free Software Society then this will be free to attend. For anyone who's not then the regulations require that you join the Free Software Society first, which costs £3 (this is so we can avoid booking fees we can't afford, and £3 is the smallest membership fee we can charge) but that's only the cost of a drink these days anyway :)

I'd appreciate if anyone interested sends a reply, either to the LUG list, to me at address@hidden or the society at address@hidden so we have an idea of the numbers to expect. You can also join our forum discussion here http://www.fss.union.shef.ac.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5036#5036 . Spread the word and forward this to anyone you think may be interested :)

* The University has useful information for travelling to the main campus here http://www.shef.ac.uk/visitors/mapsandtravel for those who need it. A more detailed map is available here http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.37993&lon=-1.48065&zoom=16&layers=B000FTFT where the Swim Inn is to the north of Convent Walk.

Thanks,
Chris Warburton, Sheffield Free Software Society President