Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] DFEY Meeting :: 31st August :: Manchester :: Digit

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] DFEY Meeting :: 31st August :: Manchester :: Digital Freedom in Education and Youth - North West
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 00:27:04 +0100

x_rob wrote:
Wow, these forums are a bit complicated to sign up and post for... anyway...

Hehe. well really it's a mailing list :P but you know, nabble.com does a great job of trying to make it friendly for those who are used to forums...

definitely count me in - I have teh train tickets so I'll turn up pretty
much whatever :P

Brilliant! sounds great, looking forward to seeing you there :)

 I certainly hope a decent number of people will come :P

me too :P

Any idea what we have to look forward to at this DFEY-NW event then?

Apart from meeting other young people with the same interests as you from roughly the same geographical area?

I will be bringing my Neo Freerunner (the free software smartphone) but I don't really want that to be a focus.

I was thinking that we should talk about how computers and technology affect us in our life and during our education, and then perhaps look at ways we can actually work towards a set of goals where have more freedom.

I'm not exactly sure how stuff will turn out at all, however I know one person has already set up a Digital Freedom association at their school[1], I'm not sure this is a starting point, but I'd certainly like to work with a group from a students perspective and try and encourage more free software in schools...

But I don't know, I'd be really interested to hear what everyone thinks, which is why I don't think it makes sense to plan too much for this first meeting.

Has anyone else got any ideas on this or experiences they would like to share?

Tim

[1] http://adfa.freedomdreams.co.uk

--
www.tdobson.net