Re: beaming and triplets over barlines

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: beaming and triplets over barlines
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2023 09:31:49 +0100

On Mon, 2023-08-07 at 13:25 -0700, Donald J. Stewart wrote:
> I'd like to divide a sixteenth note triplet between measures which
> requires
> the beam and the triplet to extend over the barline.
>
> I thought I had the problem solved, AND Print View shows the correct
> output.
>
> BUT, if you run Check Score, it will give the error: 'Start Tuplet
> with no
> end'.
>
> On a multiple-staff score, this creates a problem as Check Score
> cannot move
> past this error. I know it's possible to skip the Start Tuplet error
> and then
> the 'Start Beam with no end' error,

I trust you mean using the command

Command: Check Score Skipping Some Errors
Checks the score ignoring the first so many errors. Use this to skip
errors that are ok to leave in.
Location: Object Menu ▶ Score
Internal Name: CheckScoreSkipping

? That is indeed what it is for, you can work your way through the
errors correcting or leaving the error and re-running the command with
an increment to the number of "ok" errors if needed for ones that Check
Score can't cope with.

>  but is there another solution?

Well Check Score actually just runs a series of commands collecting up
the results. You can find these individual commands by searching for
"check" in the Command Center. You get these:

Command: Check Tuplets
Checks that start/end tuplets match in the current measure.
Location: Object Menu ▶ Measures
Internal Name: CheckTupletsInMeasure

Command: Check for Irregular Measures
Checks each Denemo measure in the current movement for complete number
of beats. Unless you explicitly set otherwise, on typesetting the notes
will be re-distributed to the correct measures, which can lead to
strange effects.
Location: Object Menu ▶ Movements
Internal Name: CheckForIncompleteMeasures

Command: Check Time Signatures
Checks the movement for miss-matched or miss-placed time signature
changes.
Location: Object Menu ▶ Movements
Internal Name: CheckTimeSignatures

Command: Check Ties
Checks for wrongly tied notes in the current voice/staff.
Location: Object Menu ▶ Staffs/Voices
Internal Name: CheckTiesInStaff

Command: Check Braces
Checks the braces (staff groupings) for this movement.
Location: Object Menu ▶ Staffs/Voices ▶ Staff Groupings (Braces)
Internal Name: CheckBraces

Command: Check Beaming
Checks the current measure for beaming errors.
Location: Object Menu ▶ Measures
Internal Name: CheckBeamsInMeasure

Command: Check Paired Directives
Checks that paired directives match from the cursor to the end of the
staff.
Location: Object Menu ▶ Directives
Internal Name: CheckDirectivePairs

You could run these commands separately if there is something specific
that you are searching for.
But the bottom line is that Check Score is only a help, there is no
requirement that it declares a score ok before it is good to print, and
there will be many sorts of errors that you could introduce that it
could never detect (e.g. just use Insert LilyPond and enter complete
nonsense into your score! Check Score doesn't understand LilyPond
syntax and can't help, you have to look in the LilyPond View to see
what's wrong in that case).

HTH

Richard
BTW - I was surprised to see the three columns of palettes on the left
in your images - do you really use them? (they are intended for newbies
to be able to click something to enter some notes) - if not you can
hide them and get more room on your screen... turning off newbie status
from the Help menu will do this for you.