Re: Inclusion Criteria

From: Joe Wilkinson
Subject: Re: Inclusion Criteria
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2022 16:45:58 +0000

Thanks Richard.
I will have a play and see if I can do so.
Best wishes
Joe

On 06/01/2022 16:16, Richard Shann wrote:
On Thu, 2022-01-06 at 15:43 +0000, Joe Wilkinson wrote:
Hi Richard,
1. You did say that you can create an inclusion criterion under Staff
Non-Printing. It is true. You can create one, but only one. If you
try to make a different staff Non-Printing and choose the Inclusion
options you simply get those already set; there is no option to
create. You can of course still create one in the typeset window.
Yes, that's right, this option to create one was intended for those
that got that far without thinking that they would need to create one.
Would it make too many options to have a create option here as well as
the list of all those already created?

2. When I have used Inclusion Criteria to remove some staffs from a
printout they take up less space and the staffs could be bigger (and
more legible for those of us with deteriorating vision!).
Is there any way to link the Inclusion Criteria in operation to the
(Print) Overall Score size in the Score menu? So that a full score
is, say 15pt but a score with just tune and chords is, say 22 pt.
absolutely, that's the idea. Having set the size for the case which you
want typeset via setting the inclusion criterion the in the Score
Editor choose "Create Duplicate" and then make it conditional on that
inclusion criterion using the Conditional button on the duplicate. Then
set the score size to the value you want when not including the
Inclusion criterion; that is the value that will typeset when you don't
have the inclusion criterion set.

3. And/or could the Typeset size be linked with the Layout so that a
full score might be 15pt but individual parts at 22. Or could
different parts be different sizes - my Mandolin Orchestra music can
be:
  * 12 pt for the Conductor, still spreading over several pages,
  * 20pt for most Parts, to fit on a single sheet of paper and saving
the planet, and
  * 24pt for the guitars who like big dots because they have to read
several simultaneously and think the loss of tree cover is worth it!
  I can quite see it may not be possible but it is a pain when I have
to reprint the music after corrections/edits and manually reset the
sizes by hand, especially as I generally can't remember what they
were!
I know that Layouts are not preserved in the Denemo file
It is not that custom layouts are not preserved, it is just the
graphical interface to them is not preserved - what is stored is the
LilyPond syntax for the custom layout. The default layouts (full score,
part, movement) are generated automatically when you request them, and
you can make the score size conditional on them

  but if it
were possible to (optionally) print the Typeset size automatically on
the pdf that might be a compromise.
That won't be needed (even though possible!). Test out the "Duplicate"
followed by "Conditional" route for the Print Score Size directive,
where you set the size in advance for the conditional case you are
about to do; then let me know if you are left with any problem.
It sounds like in some cases you just want to make a size conditional
on a default layout (e.g. Guitar part) and in others (missing out
staffs) you want an inclusion criterion which you will also be setting
on a score size duplicate. You can have as many score size directives
as you need. But *do* remember to set the size you want *before*
duplicating it, and then set the default back again.