Re: Inclusion Criteria

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Inclusion Criteria
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2022 09:06:57 +0000

On Fri, 2021-12-31 at 22:39 +0000, Burgess Hill Community Food Bank
wrote:
> Hi Richard,
> I can't get my head around inclusion criteria.
> Basically I have music with staffs 1-7 which I generally want to keep
> in
> my standard version of the tune.
> But sometimes I only want staffs 1 and 2.
> As I understand it I can make the remaining staffs Non-printing
> conditionally on a layout
yes
>  (but I can't get my head around the View
> Layouts Screen,
yes View->Score Layout is a complex, albeit powerfull interface
>  and Inclusion criteria don't come up on the Typeset screen.

By Typeset screen I can only imagine you mean the Print View. If you
have a recent version then there is a button (7th from left at top) on
the Print View window which allows you to select or create an Inclusion
Criterion. It is initially labelled "No Inclusion Criterion Set"(*).

However, again with the more recent versions you don't even have to
think ahead and create your Inclusion Criterion before creating your
"Hide Staff" directive: on issuing "Hide Staff" you get to select from
a list of conditionality options, the third one is "Only when an
Inclusion Criterion is set" and...

when you select this it offers you any Inclusion Criterion you have
already created or allows you to create one for this Directive. So in
this case you would choose a name like "Reduced Score" and then at the
next step select that as the Inclusion Criterion for this "Hide Staff"
directive.
Then in the typeset window you either leave "No Inclusion Criterion
Set" or you click and set "Reduced Score" and the typeset is done
with/without the HideStaff directive.

HTH

Richard

(*) This is an economical interface - it could be labelled "Inclusion
Criteria" and then a separate status bar could alert you to which
criterion (if any) you have set for the typesetting you have done -
though you would have then to look somwhere else to see that you had
set a criterion with the button(**). In this respect the interface is
like that of the next button to the right: "Continuous" or "Manual"
which is simultaneously the interface to continous/manual typesetting
*and* the status of this interface.
(**) Well, it *could* initially be labelled
"Inclusion Criteria: click to create/set"
and then become
"Inclusion Criterion 'Reduced Score' set: click to alter"
 or some such, but one of the problems with the Print View is that the
buttons prevent the window being shrunk in width for small screens...