Re: 17 & 20 November Downloads

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: 17 & 20 November Downloads
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 10:12:15 +0000

On Fri, 2021-11-26 at 17:19 +0000, Joe Wilkinson wrote:
> Hi Richard.
> I've just been using Oct20 and so used that libglib (dated March)
> I'm afraid it made no real difference. In the Nov22 download which I
> had
> been playing with e.g. the "x" in Graphics editor, I got the same
> messages as reported earlier.
> In the Nov21 download it simply wouldn't Typeset with the familiar
> message about being unable to load the helper program.
> :-(
> It is very strange

Well we are making progress down the food chain. Denemo tries to run
lilypond by executing functions called g_spawn_* which are in the
libglib dll. You have now established that the differences in the
libglib dll (brought about by being compiled afresh with an updated
version of the compiler) are not having this effect. It will take some
digging into libglib's source code to establish what functions it is
calling to accomplish the launch of the new lilypond process, but it is
likely to be "fork" provided by the compiler's libc.
That said, we have reached a point where it becomes increasingly
unlikely that the problem is a bug in the downstream sources, this
compiler and its libc are used in vast swathes of the programs out
there in the world as is Windows 10. And you were able to launch
Notepad from the Scheme interface inside Denemo.

So we need ideas that perturb what we are doing at the front end - are
you running with Administrator priviliges? Does the bug show up for
another user on your machine? This is clutching at straws ... any
interested (and, perhaps, amused) onlooker have any ideas?