Re: 17 & 20 November Downloads

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: 17 & 20 November Downloads
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 14:40:55 +0000

On Sun, 2021-11-21 at 16:58 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
> On Sun, 2021-11-21 at 15:15 +0000, Joe Wilkinson wrote:
> > Hi Richard,
> > I have attached a simple file.
> > I don’t know what you mean by saying put lilypond in the
> > preferences
> > but I tried just the word lilypond (should it have been lilypond-
> > windows.exe?)
>
> I've just tested out and I see that under windows the default it to
> have the whole path (including drive:) ending in lilypond-windows.exe
> so my suggestion was overly sketchy, sorry!
> Perhaps you could do an test: in the folder .denemo-2.5.6 there
> should
> be a file denemorcV2 and the first entry after Config is a line like
> this:
>

>     <lilypath>Z:\home\rshann\mxe\mxe\usr\i686-w64-
> mingw32.shared\bin\lilypond-windows.exe</lilypath>
>
> if you delete this entire line then start denemo then look in prefs
> you should find it has re-made the entry.
> If you copy that and then test (using command.com) with
>
> dir Z:\home\rshann\mxe\mxe\usr\i686-w64-mingw32.shared\bin\lilypond-
> windows.exe
>
> to see if it exists and indeed test that
>
> Z:\home\rshann\mxe\mxe\usr\i686-w64-mingw32.shared\bin\lilypond-
> windows.exe myfile.ly
>
> actually works for some simple LilyPond file myfile.ly (such as
>
> { c d e}
>
> which should typeset three notes then we will be closer to the truth
> no
> doubt - at the moment I admit I'm baffled by the symptoms.

I found a way to make it clearer what is going on: the attached batch
file runs the windows application notepad passing it the name of the
LilyPond file as the 8th parameter. So placing this somewhere
convenient and setting the Edit->Change Preferences->Externals-
>lilypond to the full path to this batch file. You should get Notepad
popping up immediately you OK the pref change, as Denemo tried to
determine the version, just dismiss Notepad and then try to typeset.
This will cause Denemo to start notepad with the LilyPond filename as
the filename (denemoprintA.ly or denemoprintB.ly).
Unfortunately Notepad appends .txt to the filename so it does not find
the .ly file, however you may be able to see the name of the file it is
trying to open. It will hang "typesetting" until you dismiss Notepad
when it will return and the typesetting will be declared a failure.

The file is in C:\users\yourname\AppData\Temp\DenemoXXXXXX or some
such.

If you have some other editor or other program that does not alter the
passed in filename (e.g. change the batch file to prompt the user with
the filename?) then that would be better.

Anyway, if Notepad does not start or the file it should be looking at
does not exist then we have would have narrowed down the problem.