Re: Keyboard shortcut to toggle between Print View and Denemo window

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Keyboard shortcut to toggle between Print View and Denemo window
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 10:19:48 +0000

On Tue, 2021-11-09 at 11:36 +0200, Lib Lists wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Nov 2021 at 18:11, Richard Shann <richard@rshann.plus.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 2021-11-08 at 11:37 +0200, Lib Lists wrote:
> > > On Sun, 7 Nov 2021 at 18:02, Richard Shann <
> > > richard@rshann.plus.com>

> > > Awesome, thank you so much! That greatly improves my workflow.
> > > I wrote some comments about the current toogle behaviour with
> > > different windows:
> > > - Print View: works except for the need of performing any action
> > > in
> > > the window first before being able to close it,
> >
> > from my testing it is not any action - mouse movements don't help
> > (bug
> > *do* get acted on) nor do PgDn or up left arrow ... The only key
> > press
> > that "wakes up" the key press signal is down arrow and that key
> > press
> > is not actually acted on - not passed on to the handler - but after
> > it
> > all keystrokes are received by the widget.
> >
> > > - Command Center: works (esc,c opens CC, esc closes the window),
> > > - Lilypond view: esc,l works but esc doesn't close the window,
> > > one
> > > needs first to click on the Denemo window
> > > - Scheme window: same as Lilypond view
> >
> > right - I've filled these out now.
> >

> > > An additional thought. I initially thought about a toggle option
> > > as I
> > > noticed that I cannot close Denemo's subwindows (Print View,
> > > Scheme,
> > > Lilypond, etc.) with 'ctrl,w', as quite common in MacOs
> > > (command,w)
> > > and as far as I remember on Windows. If ctrl,w would work on all
> > > Denemo subwindows this could allow a shortcut to open/focus a
> > > window,
> > > the same shortcut to switch the focus back to Denemo window
> > > (while
> > > keeping the other window open) and ctrl,w would close the
> > > currently
> > > open window (or close score in Denemo window). I suspect though
> > > that
> > > this is not possible.
> > > Hopefully the explanation is clear enough.
> >
> > There is a horrible snarl around "focus" "iconized" etc. I notice
> > that
> > when you do (e.g.) Esc,c to get the Command Center the Esc on the
> > Command Center returns to the main window by iconizing the Command
> > Center.
>
> (Apologies for my imprecise vocabulary). With 'iconize' do you mean
> 'reduce to icon', as equivalent to pressing the leftmost button in
> the
> attached picture?
yes (or at least that's what that left most button looks like it does!)

>  If that's the case, then on my system I get a
> different behaviour:

which is the nub of the matter, what happens depends on something
outside not only of Denemo, not only of the libraries Denemo links to,
but on the "window manager", or (in the case of Microsoft's Windows),
the operating system.

I'll see if Ctrl-w can be easily added to the routine catching Esc on
the subwindows...