Re: Automatic adjustment of staff heights in display

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Automatic adjustment of staff heights in display
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2021 17:33:01 +0000

On Wed, 2021-11-03 at 14:35 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback.
> On Wed, 2021-11-03 at 15:20 +0200, Lib Lists wrote:
> > Hi, everything seems to work here well and smoothly. The automatic
> > adjustment creates quite a big gap between staves, making reading
> > multiple staves slightly uncomfortable to me. Is that done on
> > purpose
> > (for example in the future the possibility of giving more space to
> > other elements, i.e. dynamics, hairpins etc.)?
> Perhaps that was the idea (this is ancient code) - putting in a
> hairpin
> does not affect the spacing, so if the staffs were much closer by
> default then things would start clashing when hairpins were added.
> However, the placing of hairpins under the notes ignores the note
> positions, so they already easily clash with the note heads
> themselves.
> I think it might be work just to have the default spacing rather
> less,
> I'll look into it.

It turns out you can already decrease the minimum distance between
staffs via
Command: Score Properties Editor
Opens a dialog to edit the score properties.
Location: Object Menu ▶ Score
Internal Name: EditScoreProperties

and choosing Edit Built-in Score Properties.

However the minimum is still quite large and anyway the choice isn't
saved with the score. I've now made it possible to reduce this until
there is only space for one leger line between the staffs and the
choice is stored with the score.

I've discovered also that there is a command

Command: Taller Staffs
No Tooltip yet
Location: Object Menu ▶ Staffs/Voices ▶ Display Effects
Internal Name: TallerStaffs

which can be used in a script eg:

(d-TallerStaffs 850)

and a corresponding

Command: Shorter Staffs
No Tooltip yet
Location: Object Menu ▶ Staffs/Voices ▶ Display Effects
Internal Name: ShorterStaffs

It would seem they are in the wrong menu as they affect all the staffs
in the movement.