Re: How to use a custom clef and custom chord symbol font

From: Lib Lists
Subject: Re: How to use a custom clef and custom chord symbol font
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2021 16:58:07 +0200

Hi and thank you as always!
Comments below.

On Mon, 1 Nov 2021 at 19:40, Richard Shann <richard@rshann.plus.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2021-11-01 at 18:01 +0200, Lib Lists wrote:
> > Hi,
> > a couple of questions:
> >
> > 1. I would like to use a custom G clef in my scores, in particular
> > this one: http://lilybin.com/vxtdv7/1.
>
> That example can be done by pasting the text from the top to the
> \clefGScore line into the LilyPond Score Prolog:
>
> Command: LilyPond Score Prolog
> Inserts LilyPond syntax for include files etc at head of score.
> Location: Object Menu ▶ Score
> Internal Name: ScoreProlog

In one of my scores (a collection of exercises consisting of many
movements) I'm using the Score Prolog to insert a long introductory
text between the main title (added via Score->Titles->Simple
Titles->Set Titles) and the first movement. I'd like if possible to
keep the Score Prolog free from other elements that I might change in
the future. Or better, is there another way to place the introductory
text, freeing the Score Prolog for the custom G clef?

> as I have done in the example score attached.
>
> You could make the LilyPond syntax less monolithic by creating the
> definition of the variable \clefGScore using the command:
>
> Command: LilyPond Definition
> Create a definition at the head of the LilyPond output. This can then
> be referenced in the music. See LilyPond documentation.
> Location: Object Menu ▶ Score
> Internal Name: LilyPondDefinition
>
> and you *could* place the first bit which calls the define-markup-
> command procedure to the head of the LilyPond syntax but there are no
> ready made commands for that, you would need to write the Scheme (in
> the source code is the "examples" directory that has a Denemo Score
> with all the variety of placements that can be done for the LilyPond
> syntax but it would be a bit of a slog for you to sort that out...)

I tried to find the Denemo Score you mentioned, but I could find only
one called AllFeaturesExplained, but I don't think it's the one you
referred to.

> > 2. I'd like to use a Roman font family for the chord symbols, as in
> > here: http://lilybin.com/x9shb7/1
>
> That's easier you can just use
>
> Command: Insert Lilypond
> Insert or edit a directive in the LilyPond music typesetting language.
> This can be used for extra spacing, transposing or almost anything. See
> LilyPond documentation for ideas.
> Location: Object Menu ▶ Directives
> Internal Name: InsertStandaloneDirective
>
> to insert the syntax
>
> \override ChordName.font-family = #'roman
>
> before the chords you want to appear in roman or whatever, as in the
> attached. Again there are more elegant ways (for the LilyPond view),
> but if you are not going on to edit the LilyPond you may not care to
> get involved.

Thank you for this, it will work for now. However, thinking about the
future, I might want to keep all the visual customizations separated,
creating a sort of style sheet that I can change (for example I
predict I might switch fonts after the adoption of SMuFL in LilyPond
will be completed).
Thank you!
Lib