Re: SRFI-143 Fixnums (was Generalized-Arrays egg v1.0.1)

From: Jeremy Steward
Subject: Re: SRFI-143 Fixnums (was Generalized-Arrays egg v1.0.1)
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 21:05:37 -0600

On 4/22/24 14:55, Diego wrote:
Hi all,

Sorry to be very late/unresponsive to this discussion. As I understand it from
reading the email thread, there are several optimizations and changes to
SRFI-143 that would make it more performant or inline with the intent of the
original SRFI.

Heyo! Better late than never!

I think there's two things being discussed:

1. SRFI-143 as it exists is rather slow compared to (chicken fixnum)
2. There seems to be an errata / post finalization note in SRFI-143 (the text) that needs to be brought up regarding 2-arity vs. variadic procedures in the spec. John mentioned he would pursue this, although looking at the archives I haven't seen it yet.

I have unfortunately not had much time for scheme in the past couple years, and
though I'd love to get back to it eventually, I'd hate to simply sit on the
sources for this (or any other eggs I maintain) without allowing for it to
evolve.

I understand this feeling. Look at generalized-arrays (thread topic), I sat on it for years!

I'd be happy to give Jeremy and anyone else interested in this effort
read/write access to the sources at https://git.sr.ht/~dieggsy/srfi-143, or
transfer the egg to a different maintainer/repo entirely if that approach is
preferred.

Diego

I don't have a SourceHut account, but from what I know of SourceHut I believe either approach can be made to work (I may need to set up git-send-email). For what it's worth, I've done the hard work of converting everything to an R7RS egg as well as fixing the tests / arity of every procedure to match that of (chicken fixnum) and what I presume to be John's original intent with the SRFI.

See the attached file for the full patch. One thing I did not do was update the svnwiki page in the repo. I can definitely do this but I only spent about an hour or so on this and some plugin in my editor is messing with the formatting. (classic excuse right?)

Anyways, happy to continue to get this out to folks. I don't know to what extent users are currently using SRFI-143 so I'd be wary to push this out, but I went to the liberty of bumping the version to 1.0.0 since this would definitely be a major breakage of the API.

Cheers,
--
Jeremy Steward