Re: openssl eggs: current-milliseconds -> current-process-milliseconds

From: Pietro Cerutti
Subject: Re: openssl eggs: current-milliseconds -> current-process-milliseconds
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 12:43:06 +0000

On Feb 22 2023, 12:17 UTC, siiky <github-siiky@net-c.cat> wrote:
Hiya,

heh - I don't like to see deprecation warnings when I build stuff :)

Me neither, but I like it even less when stuff stops working (like Doom Emacs just today)

I don't know what's the support policy for older releases in the 5.x series, but by your logic, no egg at all can use current-process-milliseconds for the same reason of it not being available before 5.3.

AFAIK there's no hard set of rules about egg compatibility with CHICKEN versions, each egg author chooses how and what to support. If you want to use current-process-milliseconds in your eggs go right ahead! :)

Then my egg would be listed as a 5 egg, but would only be usable by a subset of the 5.X versions. If that is accepted, then I wonder what information the major and minor versions of chicken-core convey.

To me, a deprecation has a meaning when it provides a way forward, so I think I agree with Mario when he says that this deprecation came in too late for 5.X and too early for 6.X.

Ideally, I'd like a deprecation to come in in X.Y, where Y is the last minor of the X series, and the deprecated API to be removed in (X+1).0.

Anyway, thanks all for your thoughts. Of course I am not pushing anywhere; that deprecation can stay where it is, annoying as it might be :)

--
Pietro Cerutti
I have pledged to give 10% of income to effective charities