General comments

From: Lassi Kortela
Subject: General comments
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 12:15:31 +0200

Arguably that's a feature - in Scheme you'll always be sure of the
performance characteristics of the type you're working with, and you'll
always know what type you're working with.  Also, by not having generics
for collection types you avoid quite a performance overhead related to
dispatch. But I understand many people disagree that this is desirable.

While RnRS collection procedures are monomorphic, users can easily add generic ones. IMHO the latter should be standardized in the future.

(RnRS number procedures have always been generic, so I see generic collection procedures as a natural evolution of Scheme.)

Besides just being "etched in stone", the SRFI process has been hijacked
by a small group of people and is producing SRFIs at breakneck speed with
perhaps not enough community input.  Usually by the time I learn about a
SRFI about a subject I find interesting, it's already finalized ;)
That makes SRFIs rather "take it or leave it".  And often they're not
especially ergonomic either.

Agreed by many people, myself included.

To those who have a few spare cycles, please help me try to alleviate the problem. There is now an experimental alternative at https://groups.scheme.org/review/ to ease the constraints that cause problems with SRFI. Namely, the time pressure to finish proposals and the focus on "requests for implementation" are gone.

All that's needed to get going is for people to submit a couple of proposals. It would even be possible to source eggs from the proposals' git repos.

I announced this on srfi-discuss which generated a lot of discussion but no holy war ensued. The thread is here: https://srfi-email.schemers.org/srfi-discuss/msg/21408058/