Re: [Ccrtp-devel] CMake based configuration for ccRTP

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: [Ccrtp-devel] CMake based configuration for ccRTP
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 09:38:05 -0500

I am often concerned about the idea of tools that independently produce
binary only rpm's because it then becomes easy for some to reject the
idea of producing full-cycle rpm's (or debs for those on the Debian
side) the way distros do to assure all binaries are legitimately built
from original sources, or at least it means these rpm's diverge from
those distro rpm's maintain downstream.  However, yes, it is clearly
convenient for development, to do so directly out of a build, and I
gather it is at least possible to have it produce a src rpm as well.

Traditionally the library versions (this started in debian, and suse
seems to follow this, it seems) carry an abi revision number as part of
the package name so that multiple incompatible abi's releases can be
installed at once in case an old binary requires an older abi, and each
can have independent updates (bugfixes).  A non-abi versioned devel
package is used to assure both that the latest library version is used
for development, and because the include files of different purely abi
releases cannot co-exist without overwriting each other.

I had wanted to reduce the extended library naming!  Thanks!  Actually,
this dates back to an era when c++ abi's were more unstable, and anyway
is, I think, far better handled in library package naming policies that
better separate incompatible abi releases than in extending the revision
naming of the .so.  I want to do the same with ccrtp and commonc++.  In
theory, from the perspective of downstream distros, if we do change this
up the stack, we really should release commonc++ and ccrtp changed this
way first.