Re: [be] Packages

From: Teus Benschop
Subject: Re: [be] Packages
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 15:12:18 +0100

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you much for looking into the bibledit-web software.

You have highlighted several problems, which make it difficult to create
a package from the software as it is. Clearly, some work, or a lot of
work, needs to be done before the software is fit for making a package
from.

When starting on Bibledit-Web I had in mind that the tarball would be
installable on Linux systems, but would also be uploadable to a server
through ftp and install itself there. But these seem to be two different
things. For example, inclusion of smarty(-gettext) is necessary when
uploading through ftp to a server the user only has access to that way.

There is a clash between this practice and packaging things. When I
asked for a bibledit-web package, I had not realized the implications of
that.

The tarball as it is now tries to make it easy to install the software
from source. Whether it succeeds in that is a different matter.

The problems that you mention still need to be addressed. I will do so
when time permits. Clearly, the software as it is, is not yet fit for
packaging.

Regards,

Teus