RE: [be] New subscriber's post (developmental questions)

From: Nakamaru Kunio
Subject: RE: [be] New subscriber's post (developmental questions)
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 15:07:47 +0900

Hello, Teus

Thank you for your detailed reply.
I am in total agreement with everything you wrote.

I surfed the source and found English strings within templates are static.
If I personally localize it to Japanese, it will be cumbersome to update from
the repository later.

Is there any space for me to help on internationalization?

Kunio

> > 2. Is it planned to support versioning?
>
> Yes, it will support versioning. There will be one well developed system
> of versioning, called "Snapshots". Snapshots of the Bible will be taken
> whenever a chapter changes. The Translators, probably, will be able to
> roll back a chapter to an earlier version, according to a list of
> dates / times that is presented to them.
>

> > 3. Is it planned to support branching? or one application site must
> > come up with
> > one final translation.
> >

> The second level of versioning is that it will use a "git" repository,
> with all benefits that come with that as a distributed version control
> system. But the git repository's functionality is not planned to be
> exposed to the user, but it will be the Administrator who, using his
> technical knowledge of how git works, can issue some commands on the
> command line to get versioning and branching to go. This may require
> some additional code to get it to work properly. At present the Git
> repository is used for back up and online/offline collaboration, so
> that various installations of Bibledit-Web could collaborate even if
> these installations are offline for some time, such as when the internet
> connection is out of order.
>
> > Adding notes to 3, I am imaging if a Bible translation work is
> > collaborated in public domain,
> > it could be too hard come up with one translation for every verse. It
> > is too bad to split
> > the team and make a copy of the web application every time they can
> > not come up with
> > a common translation. So I am assuming that branching at verse level
> > should be supported
> > and the final outputs(like whole OSIS, let me call it "a
> > distribution") should also be plural.
> > And for each distribution should choose branched verses to take which
> > version.
>
> Well, on that issue, if the team cannot agree on one translation for a
> verse, we are part of a translation team too and have experience with
> that, that, indeed disagreements occur. That is why the concept of
> "Consultants" is used, so that the "Translators" can refer matters to
> Consultants, and then a vote can be taken so so to find out what the
> preferred translation will be for a verse. For this reason a module will
> be added with "Consultation Notes".
>
> However, if you'd like to have the branching a the verse level as you
> describe, then it needs some additional thoughts how to implement that.
>

> Whoever would like to set up a site for translation can download the
> existing code, then install it on a site. The Bibledit Demo site is just
> a demonstration to show how it all works, but not to be used for actual
> translation work.
>
> Hope it all works out for you,
>
> Teus.
>

> > Blessing & Thank you in advance.
> >
> > Kunio Nakamaru

> > $B$4B8CN$G$9$+!)%U%#%C%7%s%0:>5=$d%^%k%&%'%"$O%V%i%&%6!<$GKI$2$^$9!#(B
> [...]

$B%a!<%k$r(B1$B$+=j$K$^$H$a$i$l$k!*B>$NL5NA%a!$B%a!<%k$r(B1$B$+=j$K$^$H$a$?$$J}$O!"$3$A$i!#(B