bayonne-desktop

[Bayonne-desktop] Re: [Bayonne-devel]Re: GNOME "Telephony Application P

From: David Sugar
Subject: [Bayonne-desktop] Re: [Bayonne-devel]Re: GNOME "Telephony Application Programming Services" Proposed
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 16:29:02 -0500

Alan,

GNU Bayonne already does some of these same things as well and has done so for
a number of years now in varied commercial, carrier class, and governmental
settings.  It is also an integral part of the GNU system, and does some
things that are distinctly different from Asterisk.  However, TAPS has
nothing to do directly with being such a system.  TAPS is also not a
softphone client.   Rather, TAPS is intended purely to standardize how we
integrate such things like GNU Bayonne, Astreisk, or other common office
telephony servers and systems, with common desktop applications (such as
address books, contact management  systems, etc).  In that sense it services
some of the same role as JTAPI, although in a manner far more directly usable
in GNOME (through a C callable library), and both far simpler and more
consistent with free software  development than JTAPI (or fully proprietary
systems such as Microsoft TAPI) currently do this.

David