Re: [Axiom-math] Re: [Aldor-l] Type equivalence of domains in Axiom and

From: Saul Youssef
Subject: Re: [Axiom-math] Re: [Aldor-l] Type equivalence of domains in Axiom and Aldor
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 22:36:33 -0500

Hi Bill,

> I have been spending some time trying to compile your code for
> "computing with category theory" in the new open source release of
> Aldor and working on a version that I hope will work inside Axiom. But
> as Ralf noted it seems that either the compiler has changed in several
> subtle ways or perhaps your code as based on a somewhat different
> branch development of Aldor? In several places in your code you refer
> to "bugs in 1.1.12p6" and your hope that these will be solved so to
> enable to more complete implementation of your ideas. I am very
> curious what to what the version number 1.1.12p6 refers. From other
> statements you have made I am lead to believe that this relates to a
> version of Aldor that was available about 5 years ago. But the release
> number associated with the new open source release is just
> "officially" at release 1.1, now. Can you recall anything more
> specific about the version you used?

It's something that I got directly from Stephen Watt.  I think that it
was the main branch at the time, not a side development branch of any
sort.

> One reason that I would like to know the actual version of Aldor that
> you used and how it relates to the current version is because at least
> with respect to your code it seems that the new version of the
> compiler may have regressed in some very interesting areas of
> application (to me at least). This might suggest that we need a more
> complete set of regression tests for this style of programming or
> perhaps it relates to some specific design concompromizes in the
> language that have come to light since you did you work on this
> subject.
>
> Also of course I would very much like to have an operational version
> of code with which to play and perhaps I would be able to install an
> older version of Aldor that would allow me to do that. This would
> certainly help in trying modify the code in such a manner that it will
> work on the newer version of Aldor and in the Axiom environment.

The first thing to do is to ask Stephen.  I've looked through some old
media.  I don't find 1.1.12p, but I did find
"aldor-1.1.13p0e28.tar.gz" (I put it at
http://physics.bu.edu/billpage/aldor-1.1.13p0e28.tar.gz) which might
be close enough.  I'm not sure, but I think that this might be a
release that Stephen distributed at the 2001 workshop.

> If you or anyone else is interested some very early draft work on a
> version for Axiom, it can be found here:
>
> http://axiom-wiki.newsynthesis.org/SandBoxAldorCategoryTheory

Thanks!

  - Saul