Re: [Axiom-math] Re: [Aldor-l] Type equivalence of domains in Axiom and

From: Bill Page
Subject: Re: [Axiom-math] Re: [Aldor-l] Type equivalence of domains in Axiom and Aldor
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 20:21:30 -0500

On 11/8/07, Saul Youssef  wrote:
>  in 2001.On Nov 8, 2007 10:14 AM, Ralf Hemmecke wrote:
> > Thank you Saul,
> >
> > First, thank you very much for your code. Under which license is it?
> > Public domain, mBSD, GPL, ... ?
> >

> No problem.  I offer it freely with no restrictions or claims.
>
> > Unfortunately, the compiler has changed a bit.
>
> It might be useful for you just as a sample of odd code that should
> work but is structurally different from what you're used to.

Saul,

I have been spending some time trying to compile your code for
"computing with category theory" in the new open source release of
Aldor and working on a version that I hope will work inside Axiom. But
as Ralf noted it seems that either the compiler has changed in several
subtle ways or perhaps your code as based on a somewhat different
branch development of Aldor? In several places in your code you refer
to "bugs in 1.1.12p6" and your hope that these will be solved so to
enable to more complete implementation of your ideas. I am very
curious what to what the version number 1.1.12p6 refers. From other
statements you have made I am lead to believe that this relates to a
version of Aldor that was available about 5 years ago. But the release
number associated with the new open source release is just
"officially" at release 1.1, now. Can you recall anything more
specific about the version you used?

One reason that I would like to know the actual version of Aldor that
you used and how it relates to the current version is because at least
with respect to your code it seems that the new version of the
compiler may have regressed in some very interesting areas of
application (to me at least). This might suggest that we need a more
complete set of regression tests for this style of programming or
perhaps it relates to some specific design concompromizes in the
language that have come to light since you did you work on this
subject.

Also of course I would very much like to have an operational version
of code with which to play and perhaps I would be able to install an
older version of Aldor that would allow me to do that. This would
certainly help in trying modify the code in such a manner that it will
work on the newer version of Aldor and in the Axiom environment.

If you or anyone else is interested some very early draft work on a
version for Axiom, it can be found here:

http://axiom-wiki.newsynthesis.org/SandBoxAldorCategoryTheory

Regards,
Bill Page.