[Axiom-math] Re: Axiom: Printing multiple variables in axiom.

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-math] Re: Axiom: Printing multiple variables in axiom.
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 17:10:29 -0500

On 11/13/07, Constantine Frangos wrote:

> Thanks for the program.
>
> I tried this program on  a simple matrix (see below). I was expecting to get
> matrix([[x1,x2],[x3,x4]])
>
> but the result is different.
>
> C. Frangos.
>

> (67) -> s:=matrix([[x1,x2],[x3,x4]])
> (67) ->
>          +x1  x2+
>    (67)  |      |
>          +x3  x4+
>                                               Type: Matrix Polynomial Integer
> (68) -> output1d(s)
> (68) ->
>    (68)  matrix(construct(construct(x1,x2),construct(x3,x4)))
>                                                              Type: OutputForm
> (69) ->

You will admit I think, that this does product the required result:

(1) -> matrix(construct(construct(x1,x2),construct(x3,x4)))

        +x1  x2+
   (1)  |      |
        +x3  x4+
                                              Type: Matrix Polynomial Integer
(2) ->

This is what you expected, right?

The bracket [ ... ] notation in the Axiom is (usually) just a
short-hand syntax sugar for the construct( ... ) operation.

If you really think that the [ ... ] notation is preferrable, that
could probably be arranged with a little more special coding.

Regards,
Bill Page.