[Axiom-math] Re: Axiom: Installing Aldor

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-math] Re: Axiom: Installing Aldor
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 09:15:56 -0500

On 11/13/07, Constantine Frangos wrote:

> Following the recent posting re. aldor and axiom etc, I dowloaded the
> aldor system file aldor-linux-i386-glibc2.3-1.0.3.bin  (21051230 bytes).
>
> What program in suse linux 10.2, can be used to unpack this file ?
> (extension .bin is unfamiliar).  I guess that there are instructions on
> how to compile, etc.

This is self-extracting script file. All you have to do is run it.
Usually I do the following in a linux terminal:

  $ chmod a+x aldor-linux-i386-glibc2.3-1.0.3.bin
  $ ./aldor-linux-i386-glibc2.3-1.0.3.bin

 Be sure to read the installation instructions. The installation is
not completely automatic.

> I know aldor can do numeric computations, but its not clear whether
> it can also manipulate symbolic expressions, matrices, plot graphs,
> etc like in axiom ?

Yes, certainly it can. (In fact that is it's main design goal!) But
keep in mind that Aldor (like Spad in Axiom) is a *compiler*, not an
interpreter. This means that compiling, testing and running programs
in Aldor is a little more complicated than using the Axiom
interpreter. Also in some respects the libraries available for Aldor
are considerably less extensive than what is available for Axiom.

If you like Aldor and you also would like to continue to use Axiom as
the user interface you might be interested in:

  http://axiom-wiki.newsynthesis.org/AldorForAxiom

If you search for "Aldor" in the search box in the top right-hand
corner of the page, you will also find some other examples of using
Aldor in Axiom.

Regards,
Bill Page.