Re: [Axiom-math] What is the "+/" operator?

From: Bill Page
Subject: Re: [Axiom-math] What is the "+/" operator?
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 12:50:08 -0400

Quoting Martin Rubey <address@hidden>:

... Igor Khavkine writes:

Can someone explain this syntax? Looking at the Axiom .spad files,
I see that it has general usage +/[...some list construction...].

It is old syntax for reduce and should go away.

Rather, I think it is the equivalent BOOT syntax for reduce (right,
Gaby?) and I think it should stay in BOOT where there is no static
type checking. But I agree that it should not appear directly in SPAD
files. This expression returns a syntax error in the Axiom interpreter.
If I recall correctly, there a few other places in the Axiom library code
where old BOOT syntax appears (perhaps for efficiency or to avoid
awkard type manipulations) but should be really be replaced by a
more appropriate Spad idiom.

Regards,
Bill Page.