Re: [Axiom-math] Simple question

From: Francois Maltey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-math] Simple question
Date: 04 Dec 2006 19:16:00 +0100

Hello Soren, and Welcome !

> I'm a new Axiom user, so this is probably a very simple question, but it
> really puzzles me:
>
> (1) -> solve(x^10-1024, 1)
>
>    (1)  [x= - 2,x= 2]
>                          Type: List Equation Polynomial Fraction Integer

                                             solve operate over Polynomial

Axiom isn't as the others CAS.
If you used maple or others you must change (just a little) your mind.
It's surprising at the beginning but some times after we appreciate
the typed language axiom. We must explain (to himself) what the want.

> (2) -> solve(2^x-1024, 1)
>    There are 20 exposed and 3 unexposed library operations named solve
>       having 2 argument(s) but none was determined to be applicable.
>       Use HyperDoc Browse, or issue
>                               )display op solve
>       to learn more about the available operations. Perhaps
>       package-calling the operation or using coercions on the arguments
>       will allow you to apply the operation.
>
>    Cannot find a definition or applicable library operation named solve
>       with argument type(s)
>                              Expression Integer
>                                PositiveInteger
>
>       Perhaps you should use "@" to indicate the required return type,
>       or "$" to specify which version of the function you need.

2^x isn't polynomial, it's a function with exp : 2^x = exp (x * log 2).

Axiom is very typed so 2^x in of type Expression Integer and there is
no solve over Expression Integer.

And I don't believe there are methods for such equations,
even if my eyes see the x=10 solution.

And Axiom don't have a lot of numerical methods.

What do you want to do with Axiom.

Have a nice day !

Francois (in France)