Re: [Axiom-math] Axiom's integration non-deterministic?

From: Igor Khavkine
Subject: Re: [Axiom-math] Axiom's integration non-deterministic?
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 10:23:05 -0500

On 3/26/06, William Sit <address@hidden> wrote:

> I vaguely remembered that Axiom does caching. So the first time the command
> above is done, it gives an unsimplified answer and the second time it may be
> doing the simplification using the previous answer. Simplifying radical
> expresssion is expensive (I think it requires constructing towers of algebraic
> extensions). The two answers are identical (on my Windows version)

The first time I tried this expression, it was the simplified answer
that axiom spat out first, the more complicated answer second, which
then alternated (but without any kind of regular pattern I could
recognize). So it doesn't look like any kind of caching is
responsible, at least in version axiom-20050201. In the 20050901
version, the behavior seems closer to what William found.

Strange in deed.

Igor