Re: [Axiom-math] newbie type problem

From: Frank Thieme
Subject: Re: [Axiom-math] newbie type problem
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 19:33:29 +0100

On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 17:25 +0100, Martin Rubey wrote:
> Frank Thieme writes:
>  > Thanks for the long answer! I'm using cvs version of axiom of savannah
>  > if that matters. So I couldn't try out the package solution, yet...
>
> Yes you can! put it into a file ("test.spad", for example) and say
>
> )co test.spad
>
> )sh ABL

ah, I see. I tried to make a file "ableitung.as" as seen in some example
and it won't find a useful compiler. Ok, that one works...

>  > On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 11:45 +0100, Martin Rubey wrote:
>  > > or, perhaps better
>  > >
>  > > abl(f:POLY FRAC INT,x:Symbol):POLY FRAC INT ==
>  > >   coefficient(f,x,degree(f,x))*degree(f,x)*x^(degree(f,x)-1)
>  >
>  > should be FRAC POLY INT instead of POLY FRAC INT - at least it works
> then...
>
> Does this mean, with POLY FRAC INT it does not work? What does not work,
> please
> provide an example!

(2) -> abl(x^5,x)
   Conversion failed in the compiled user function abl .

   Cannot convert from type Expression Integer to Polynomial Fraction
      Integer for value
     4
   5x

No problem at all with FRAC POLY INT.

I'm not that deep in math to understand why... :/