[Axiom-math] RE: [Axiom-developer] documentation and the crystal

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-math] RE: [Axiom-developer] documentation and the crystal
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 22:06:41 -0500

Tim,

Well, I have often used the time between christmas and
new years for thinking what I hope are radical and
forward looking thoughts. It sounds to me like you share
this tradition!

We had a pleasant christmas but work stress and "holiday
stress" combined to give Faye a serious case of pneumonia.
She has been confined to bed for the last three days (but
improving) so that has significantly dampened our enjoyment
of the extraordinarily mild weather ... I trust that in
your case things went a little better. :)

I have also been thinking about Axiom documentation. I
definitely agree that the book (or even the "IBM library")
metaphor is not adequate for a system as complex as Axiom.
I realize that you are probably writing in an online
"brainstorming" style, but have to admit that your "crystal"
metaphor also tends to leave me feeling a little cold.
However, when you said "semantic network" this connected!

There is a large and growing literature on the "semantic
web".

 http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/

"Definition: The Semantic Web is the representation of
data on the World Wide Web. It is a collaborative effort
led by W3C with participation from a large number of
researchers and industrial partners. It is based on the
Resource Description Framework (RDF), which integrates a
variety of applications using XML for syntax and URIs for
naming."

In fact, NAG (Mike Dewar) has been one of the leading
organizations promoting the concept of mathematics in
the context of the semantic web.

  http://monet.nag.co.uk/cocoon/openmath/meetings/eindhoven2003/index.html

See especially Mike's presentation on Monet

http://monet.nag.co.uk/cocoon/openmath/meetings/eindhoven2003/proceedings/de
war-monet.htm

----------

So rather than "crystal", I am inclined to think of
the Axiom documentation (and programs) as a "web". In
fact, the Axiom web could fundamentally reside on a
web application server such as

  http://www.zope.org

Zope provides a high level object-oriented environment
using tools that are not so different than Axiom itself
(Python).

  http://www.zope.org/WhatIsZope

Using these tools together with some of the standards
discussed by Mike Dewar, I could imagine configuring Axiom
(and in the longer term, the network of Axiom developers)
into a dynamic distributed active environment for
mathematics ... [Ok, that's as far as I go with the hype.]

But seriously, as strange as it might sound at first,
what more suits the multidimensional network structure
of Axiom itself better than the "web". And the further we
look into your "thirty year" time horizon, the more sense
this makes to me.

Cheers,
Bill Page.