Re: [Axiom-math] How reads axiom Expressions ?

From: fmaltey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-math] How reads axiom Expressions ?
Date: 13 Oct 2003 17:05:34 +0200

Tim,

> Can you tell me what result you were expecting?
> It is hard to guess what result you wanted so
> I don't know if this is considered a bug or not.
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >I type this example in axiom :
> >
> >(4) ->  (sin (x)+1/2)*(cos(x)+1/2)
> >        (4cos(x) + 2)sin(x) + 2cos(x) + 1
> >   (4)  ---------------------------------
> >                        4
> >
> >I don't understand the result :
> >it's _not_ an expanded product, and it's _not_ a factorised product.
> >What does axiom ?

Of corse the result is right, but because I'm a 4M user and I didn't wait
this result.

Mupad keeps theses products factorised, so they remain short.
And the expand or normal command gives the result in Q[cos(x),sin(x)]
The collect command computes as axiom, but I almost don't use it.

It seems that axiom computes in fraction (Z[cos(x)][sin(x)]),
and It's surprising for my eyes.

Today I prefer the mupad way, but I can't explain why :
A really more pretty way as we do over paper, or only my long use of mupad.
Of corse I don't know if internal simplifications are more easy in
Q[cos(x),sin(x)] (for mupad) or in fraction (Z[cos(x)][sin(x)]) (for axiom).

> I don't know if this is considered a bug or not.
No not a bug,
perhaps a little surprising feature because I don't compute so with a pencil !

Have a good day !

François