Re: [Axiom-math] Re: partfrac, expand, combine,rewrite and simplify.

From: fmaltey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-math] Re: partfrac, expand, combine,rewrite and simplify.
Date: 13 Oct 2003 08:33:42 +0200

Bill and Dylan,

>   -> expandBinomial := rule binomial(n,(m | integer? m and m>1)) ==
>        (n-m+1)/m*binomial(n,m-1)
>
>   -> % :: UP(x,FRAC INT)

I cut/copy your command in _one_ line and get an error :
What must I change ?

(1) -> expandBinomial := rule binomial(n,(m | integer? m and m>1)) ==
(n-m+1)/m*binomial(n,m-1)

   The form on the left hand side of an assignment must be a single
      variable, a Tuple of variables or a reference to an entry in an
      object supporting the setelt operation.

> Do you think such a transformation should be available as a
> coercion?

I believe it's necessary to add the same rule with integer?(n-m) ...

How computes the rule command ?

Can I make my own configuration file with 2 functions
as  expand that can be apply to cos(n*x), sin (x+y), exp(3), binomial, etc.
and rewrite in order to get only sin/cos, exp, sinh/cosh, etc.

I understand that axiom is an algebra system,
but such transforms are pretty for my own use.

I like to have only ONE function expand, not several as expandTrig, expandExp.
Is it possible ?

Thanks for all your help.
And thanks Bill for your rewrite example about sin/cos.
With this new example I better understand how to use axiom !

Have a good day !

Francois