RE: [Axiom-developer] POLY INT =\\= UP(x, INT) (was: [Axiom-math]partial

From: Weiss, Juergen
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] POLY INT =\\= UP(x, INT) (was: [Axiom-math]partialFraction behavi or in Axiom)
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 19:35:11 +0200

I think one has to discern the AXIOM algebra libraries and
the AXIOM interpreter. The library is strongly typed. It's
conceptually not so different to the ALDOR libraries. And
the libraries are not about abstract mathematics but about
efficient computational mathematics. With a stress both
on computational and efficient. So it's not enough to have
a ring, but you need effective algorithms for the
operations. And if you have a ring with special structure,
which allows faster calculations of some of the operations,
you will define and use it in AXIOM as well. This makes
the library ugly in some places, but there is not much of
a choice.

On the other side, you have the user, who wants to work
interactively. You can not force him to give the type of
every number or symbol he types in. Besides, even
mathematicians are used to change the interpretation
of an expression from one line of a computation to
the next without even thinking about it. So you need
the AXIOM interpreter as a mediatior between the user
which expects something like "do what I mean" and the
strongly typed library. This part is certainly a weak
part of the system, because it's hard to predict
from a user's perspective.

There are domains in the library which are probably
written with the interpreter in mind (POLY for example,
which handles arbitrary indeterminates, as opposed to
DMP domains with fixed indeterminates). By the
way, AXIOM discerns programming variables from indeterminates,
which was the cause of a problem raised in a previous
mail.

The expression domain in a way simulates the way
the classical computer algebra systems handle mathematics
(don't flame me for this statement). If you have to handle
symbols with their algebraic depenencies only partly known,
it's difficult to do any better.

Regards

Juergen Weiss

Juergen Weiss     | Universitaet Mainz, Zentrum fuer Datenverarbeitung,
address@hidden| 55099 Mainz, Tel: +49(6131)39-26361, FAX:
+49(6131)39-26407