Re: [patch #7275] Support for parallel port programmers on windows 7 64

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [patch #7275] Support for parallel port programmers on windows 7 64 bit and other versions of 64 bit windows
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 16:59:17 +0100

As Henrik Haftmann wrote:

> > Is this really still relevant, given that parallel-port computers are no
> > longer really available?

> Yes, as InpOut32.dll, available as InpOutX64.dll for a 64-bit version of
> avrdude, enables redirection of bit-banging to any hardware, not only the
> parallel port but also USB-ParallelPrinter converters, without installing a
> global exception handler (that can do the same job but much slower).
> InpOut32 is more flexible than using giveio.sys but is a bit slower.
> Moreover, true parallel ports are IMHO still available on docking stations
> and industrial PCs.

Hallo, und danke für die Meinung.

OK, I appreciate it supports more than the traditional parallel port.

Besides, I haven't seen a docking station lately (i.e. within the last
about 10 or so years) with a parallel port. Some still offer a true
serial port (i.e. a UART directly attached to the bus rather than
through USB, I've seen that on Dell laptops and desktops), most don't
even offer that.

For an additional USB-to-parallel adapter, who would actually use that
kind of device to program an AVR though? If something attached to USB
is needed, there are so many more versatile options these days -
compared to 20 years ago, when AVRDUDE started, where the
parallel-port bit-banging was the main cheap method to get the job
done.

You can build a USBasp or AVRdoper out of a few parts, a job that is
probably comparable to building a parallel-port dongle 20 years ago.
You can buy a USBasp ready to work for much less then EUR 10 now,
about the same price a USB-to-parallel adapter is. We've just seen a
truckload of improvements to the ft245r driver where you can use an
off-the-shelf FT245 board to program any AVR as well.

So is there anyone around here who is still using parallel-port
adapters to program AVRs? Please tell me so. I've got mine somewhere
in a box still, Brian Dean sent it to me in the beginning, but I
haven't been even testing it anymore for many years now - even though
I still own a (lab) computer that features a parallel port.

Finally, see my request 10 years ago:

"Please don't forget to submit documentation patches."

--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/