Re: Introducing SerialUPDI programmer

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: Introducing SerialUPDI programmer
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 15:10:39 +0100

As Dawid Buchwald wrote:

> I might be wrong, but based on the information found here:
> https://github.com/SpenceKonde/AVR-Guidance/blob/master/UPDI/jtag2updi.md
> there are actually quite a lot of issues with jtag2updi
> implementation in AVRDUDE, and the SerialUPDI utility provided by
> Microchip seems to be better option.

While I don't see many issues ...

> The idea is to implement direct support for simple USB->UART based
> UPDI programmers without the need to install additional tools like
> pymcuprog.

... the option to perform programming with a simple UART adapter
rather than a CMSIS-DAP compatible programming dongle is certainly
useful. (Of course, the CMSIS-DAP dongle also offers debugging
capabilities, but that's beyond the scope of AVRDUDE.)

Please don't start out with any offspring Git repositories, unless you
make sure it is really in sync with the current Subversion repo. The
latter is still the definitive source reference for AVRDUDE.

--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/