Introducing SerialUPDI programmer

From: Dawid Buchwald
Subject: Introducing SerialUPDI programmer
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 12:11:41 +0000

Hello,

First of all, thank you for accepting me to the mailing list. The reason I
wanted to join was that I have just started working on an enhancement to
AVRDUDE to support simple serial-based interface for programming newest AVR
families that use UPDI protocol. I’m simply curious - would you guys be
interested in accepting this work, when finished, to the main AVRDUDE codebase?

I can provide more details, should there be interest, but for now I can shortly
describe the implementation process: I forked
https://github.com/sigmike/avrdude repo into
https://github.com/dbuchwald/avrdude, created new programmer definition, and
started porting official SerialUPDI driver from Microchip
(https://github.com/microchip-pic-avr-tools/pymcuprog) written in Python to C.
At this I have completed implementation of physical communication layer,
datalink layer and abstract readwrite layer and using these I can connect to
AVR128DB64/28 and retrieve System Information Block.

So, would you be interested in having this feature added to AVRDUDE codebase?

Best regards,
Dawid Buchwald