[patch #9565] Patch for WiFi AVR Programmer, uPDI support for jtagmkII,

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: [patch #9565] Patch for WiFi AVR Programmer, uPDI support for jtagmkII, and serial-over-network improvements
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 16:22:30 -0500 (EST)

Follow-up Comment #3, patch #9565 (project avrdude):

Well, all that timeout handling is a mess. A lot of that is probably just
heritage from AVRDUDE's 22-year old history.

I wonder whether there's a better way than introducing just another timeout
hack^H^H^H^Hsetting though.

The jtagmkII.c code tries to implement a kind of adaptive timeout setting, by
doubling the value on missed transactions. Doesn't that already help in your
case?

Short of that, maybe we should implement a kind of per-programmer notion of a
short vs. long timeout (defaulting to 100 ms / 5 s) that is subsequently be
used to toggle between both values. Then, the wavr programmer driver could
establish a longer "short" timeout than those 100 ms.

How does that sound?

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?9565>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/