australia-public-discuss

[Australia-public-discuss] Response to innovation patents ammendments

From: Ben Sturmfels
Subject: [Australia-public-discuss] Response to innovation patents ammendments
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 16:59:38 +1100

Dear Mr Bourke,

I am writing in response to the proposed amendments to the Innovation
Patent laws.

As mentioned in our original submission to the review, patents within
the field of computation and information processing significantly reduce
innovation within small to medium business. This occurs due to the
increasing risk and associated costs of litigation as well as the
general environment of fear induced within the industry. This means that
patents in these industries don't serve their intended purpose at all,
instead providing an anti-competitive weapon for large corporations. We
believe that both standard patents and innovation patents on computation
and information processing should be abolished.

While the amendment to increase the inventive step of innovation patents
fall far short of the required change in the patent system, this is a
positive change and one we fully support.

Yours sincerely,

Ben Sturmfels

Director
End Software Patents Australia