audio-video

[Audio-video] address@hidden: Re: Jaipur speaking event]

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [Audio-video] address@hidden: Re: Jaipur speaking event]
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 03:09:29 -0500

Can you manage to download that file from drive.google.com?
Please ack.

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2014 07:25:34 +0000
From: moderator <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Jaipur speaking event

there is now an ogg file of the entire recoding available from here.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzjGRSoRg36CNmVZQ3RObG1UWDQ/view?usp=sharing

I doubt I will be in Delhi on the 24th, so the above is likely the best
I can do.

Now whilst I accept that there are artists who think copyright should be
abolished completely, they I suspect are in an even smaller minority
than those that think it should be eternal. The extremes are just that:
the extremes and Few support them. The solution therefore  lies
somewhere in the middle or as I indicated previously by exploiting the
very media you are trying to protect.

However as you state you have thought about this issues for years.. and
have come to your conclusions.

So whilst I acknowledge the significant contribution you made in
identifying a problem with software 30 years ago, I similalry feel that
that insight is not matched by your grasp of the solution(s).

Needless to say that on that basis this exchange will at best amount to
no more than an academic exercise. So nothing meaningful or practical.

If (or when) in the future I am able to upload the mp4 files and share
then I will advise the fsf. However I have no idea how many months away
that is.

On 20/12/14 07:53, Richard Stallman wrote:

>    > That said had I picked up your email. The one in which you dismissed out
>    > of hand my suggestion, one I add was clarified by the phrase  it is
>    > difficult to convey this idea succinctly  I would not have wasted my
>    > time and money travelling to Jaipur. You upset me considerably here.
>
> I am sorry that you wasted your money, and regret upsetting you.  If I
> had grasped that this would happen, I would have tried to avoid it.
>
> But I did not figure that out.  I'm overloaded, trying to do the best
> I can with each message that comes in, as soon as I can get to it
> (which nowadays is often not very soon).
>
>    > Whilst I can convert to ogg with openshot it is more 'convenient' to
>    > send the five original mp4 files.
>
> That is fine.  The important issue is what format gets published;
> for transferring the video to us, it is best to use the original,
> since each conversion can lose data.  We can convert it.
>
>    > Similarly whilst I do not support current copyright and patent
>    > legislation I am also opposed to your 'Pirate bay' view. In your 'lessay
>    > fair' world artist and creators would be well advised to lock the doors
>    > less their work is stolen by talentless sharks concerned only with
>    > profit for themselves.
>
> I wish I could introduce you to Nina Paley.  She is a brilliant artist
> that wants to abolish copyright.  I think that is too radical; I just
> want to legalize sharing (noncommercial redistribution of exact
> copies).
>
>    > But then as I am not coming from a programming
>    > background my ideas must be dismissed.
>
> It is not anything about you personally.  I've thought about these
> issues for years and already reached lots of conclusions.

Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation
51 Franklin St
Boston MA 02110