xbubble-users

Re: [Xbubble-users] Stealing stuff from frozen-bubble

From: xbubble
Subject: Re: [Xbubble-users] Stealing stuff from frozen-bubble
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 17:07:02 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Martin Quinson wrote:

> Hello,
>
> on http://www.nongnu.org/xbubble/, you say that you wait for patchs to
> enhance the graphics, and add levels.
>
> Well, now, you could take this from frozen-bubble, which comes with really
> nice graphics, and with 100 levels.

Frozen-bubble does comes with really nice graphics, but I don't think we should
rip off their work: firstly because I don't think it would be fair, and
secondly because that would be very confusing to users. And if you noticed
the way Xbubble is designed, theming/changing graphics is really easy: all
you have to do is use option '-r' to load alternate graphics.
So I'd prefer an 'frozen-bubble theme' distributed separately, rather than
fb graphics becoming the default xbubble graphics.

> I am willing to help here, but there is so ground decision I cannot meat
> myself. For example, in fb, bubbles do not explode at all, and all of them
> fall. It would allow us to get rid of a whole bunch of png in xbubble, but
> need a modification of the source code. Are you ok with it, or do you prefer
> not to get the graphics from fb to keep your ball explosion?

Actually I prefer the explosion animation as opposed to bubbles merely
falling down. That's why I spent some time doing POV-ray stuff. But's
that's a matter of taste...

> In fb, you cannot get a red ball if there is no red ball already on the
> board. I think it's cool. Do you agree, and let me try to change that, or do
> you want to stick to the current behaviour?

It would be quite easy to change, I don't have any problem with it.

> What's the point of the single player game vs the challenge mode? Is single
> player were the game loading stuff should take place, and challenge for
> random boards?

Single Player Mode = Preloaded levels becoming increasingly difficult (a
starting point for beginners)

Challenge Mode = Trying to empty the board starting with random bubbles
preloaded.

> We could merge those two, and let the player choose which
> level he wants to play at the beginning of the game (with valid answers
> being 1->100 or random).

OK, why not ?

> I like fb very much, and play it quite extensively. Sadly, its internals
> aren't clean enough to let me hope of major improvement (like colaborative

I actually considered contributing code to fb the first time I saw it :-)
But unfortunately, xbubble has a "player vs computer" mode that I like very
much, and I couldn't see how to implement it in fb (but admittedly I'm not
good at Perl).

> game on big board, or network game). The source code of xbubble is very
> impressive and clean. I guess there is something to do here...

Thanks ! Actually, as you may have figured, I really don't have time to
play with xbubble these days. I wonder if you would be willing to take
on the project, since you've already read the source code ;-) ?

I released today an old (version 0.2.4 - december 2002) source tarball
with improvements and cleanups, I didn't even have time to release it back
then. You should probably re-apply your patches to this cleaner and better
version.
So let me know if you want to take on xbubble, I'll give you admin rights and
all that...

Cheers,

Ivan