xbindkeys-devel

xbindkeys comlains that key symbol not mapped

From: Se Kasi
Subject: xbindkeys comlains that key symbol not mapped
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 01:24:01 +0200

Hi,

I'm trying to use a second USB keyboard for application shortcuts. So I
connected it, identified the keyboard with 'xinputs -list', and set the
keyboard layout to kz with xsetkbmap for that specific device. It works as I
see the symbol 'ф' when I press the key 'a' on the second keyboard.

xbindkeys --key reports the letter 'a' to be Cyrillic_ef.

xev reports it as:

KeyRelease event, serial 29, synthetic NO, window 0x4800001,
    root 0x1ea, subw 0x0, time 38596915, (580,109), root:(584,484),
    state 0x10, keycode 38 (keysym 0x6c6, Cyrillic_ef), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 2 bytes: (d1 84) "ф"
    XFilterEvent returns: False

I added the following to my .xbindkeysrc to launch an xterm: (xbindkey
'("m:0x4" Cyrillic_ef) "xterm")

Unfortunately xbindkeys reports this error:

"xterm"
    Control + Cyrillic_ef
  The key symbol 'Cyrillic_ef' cannot be used, as it's not mapped
  on your keyboard.
  xbindkeys will keep running, but will ignore this symbol.

Any ideas? The key works fine on the second keyboard.

Thanks.