www-ml-gnu-malayalam-project-public

Re: [Www-ml-gnu-malayalam-project-public] Review - philosophy/surveillan

From: aiswarya
Subject: Re: [Www-ml-gnu-malayalam-project-public] Review - philosophy/surveillance-vs-democracy.html
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2019 18:09:33 +0200

The translation guide of gnu.org explains as follows:

  • Surveillance. This word has false-friends in Romance languages because of its Latin root. In English, it specifically means the close observation of a person or organization under suspicion of wrongdoing; this makes the surveillee unsafe. In some Romance languages on the other hand (for instance in French), the false-friend of “surveillance” is used more widely; it may describe the benevolent watch of a shepherd over his sheep or of a teacher over her students.

    When translating “surveillance”, please make sure you don't use a word which could be interpreted as “benevolent watch”. If there is no specialized term, the word which means “spying” may be adequate in the context of proprietary software.

ഇതുപ്രകാരമാണു് പരിഭാഷയിൽ സൂക്ഷ്മനിരീക്ഷണം എന്നു കൊടുക്കുന്നതു് അനുയോജ്യമാവില്ല എന്ന നിഗമനത്തിലെത്തിയതു്.