wget-dev

wget2 | Non-blocking connection timeout and fallback IP's (#672)

From: Roger Marco Hernandez (@RogerMarcoHernandez)
Subject: wget2 | Non-blocking connection timeout and fallback IP's (#672)
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2024 07:26:23 +0000

Roger Marco Hernandez created an issue:
https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/-/issues/672

This issue is a response for the quite incompatible two fixes for the issues
[#671](https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/-/issues/671) and [GitHub
325](https://github.com/rockdaboot/wget2/issues/325).

I've came with a solution for both at once. The fix for 325 implied switching
to a blocking connection establishment to know whether a connection failed,
then decide to use a fallback option, though the 671 needs a non-blocking
connection establishment to control the timeout.

What if we simply establish the connection always in a non-blocking manner (as
originally did) and simulate the blocking behavior for the 325 by polling the
socket file descriptor until timeout (if set) or indefinitely (default system
timeout). This way we have the advantages of a non-blocking connection from the
beginning and the advantages from a blocking behavior with polling in a
completely portable approach.

https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/-/issues/672