wget-dev

Re: wget2 | Interface differences from wget (#622)

From: @rockdaboot
Subject: Re: wget2 | Interface differences from wget (#622)
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 18:43:35 +0000

Tim Rühsen commented:

Good question, answered at https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/-/wikis/home ..

TL;DR: Except for WARC and FTP (both rarely used), you can use wget2 as a
drop-in replacement for wget.
Disclaimer: Since the code of both tools is different, the behavior is
different in subtle ways. You have to test it yourself. But I'd say that for
normal behaving servers, there should be nearly no difference.

Some examples, were wget2 and wget trigger different behavior:
- wget2 uses http/2 by default while wget does not... so a web server may react
in different ways.
- some web servers check the User-agent: header and may react differently for
wget and wget2.
- parallel requests (wget2) may trigger different behavior in firewalls and/or
web servers in comparison to single requests.

This is nothing we developers can (or want to) influence. But you can do by
"downgrading" wget2 to wget behavior: switch http/2 off, switch off parallel
requests, set the user-agent header to wget, etc. (do this your `.wget2rc`
file, see the man pages to see where it lives).

https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/-/issues/622#note_1275201658