wget-dev

wget2 | OCSP: Why is wget checking that thisUpd is not older than 3 days

From: Ander Juaristi (@juaristi)
Subject: wget2 | OCSP: Why is wget checking that thisUpd is not older than 3 days? (#577)
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 12:27:42 +0000

Ander Juaristi created an issue: https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/-/issues/577

I've just pushed a change that fixes a bug where [some TLS handshakes were
failing](https://github.com/rockdaboot/wget2/issues/243) without apparent
reason.

The problem was coming from the fact that we were checking `thisUpd` to be max
3 days older from now on an OCSP response. I've disabled that check for stapled
OCSP responses.

This check was present in both the OpenSSL code as well as the GnuTLS one, but
GnuTLS didn't apply it for stapled OCSP responses (only for non-stapled ones),
whereas OpenSSL did.

I was wondering why is wget doing that. AFAIK, as long as `thisUpd` < `nextUpd`
and `nextUpd` > `now`, that's enough to take an OCSP response as valid. At
least regarding the time. Why are we then, checking that `thisUpd` is older
than 3 days?

If we can't come up with a good reason, I'd rather remove this check, as the
TLS code is already a bit more complex than I'd like to, and I'd like to reduce
complexity where possible.

Moreover, all the tests are running with `--no-ocsp-date`, which disables those
checks, so yet another more reason to remove it if we're not even testing it.

https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/-/issues/577