wget-dev

Re: wget2 | Implement HTTP/3 support using QUIC (#553)

From: @rockdaboot
Subject: Re: wget2 | Implement HTTP/3 support using QUIC (#553)
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 18:08:27 +0000

Tim Rühsen commented on a discussion:
https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/-/issues/553#note_582605059

Ok, renamed the issue :-)

> It seems that the 4 QUIC RFCs will be out in a few days.

Yeah, let's cross fingers - I hear this every few months since 3? years
:laughing:.

But it doesn't matter much. The library/libraries you are using (please don't
start implementing QUIC or HTTP/3 yourself) likely won't change their APIs any
more.

> I will dive in the curl implementation and wget2 code and make a plan.

>From a copyright point of view: don't do this. If your code looks similar or
>partly the same, it's hard to put that code under GPL or LGPL. Better is to
>start with the examples coming with those libraries. If something doesn't work
>out as expected, we can start investigating by comparing with external code.

Now that we are in the license area: it is required that you sign the FSF
copyright assignment in order to get non-trivial code into GNU Wget2. Just
follow the instructions in
[request-assign.future](/uploads/2ca51e07079a169bf7fdeec9da8f37e8/request-assign.future).
 If you have any concerns or questions, please let me know.

> I hope to write a design doc before the end of June.

Cool, sounds goo to me. Feel free to share it before you put too much work into
it. And again: really ask questions ! The typical failure modes we saw in the
past (e.g. during GSOC): missing communication. Ask early before you waste too
much time on finding out yourself :-).
And regarding skill: you are skilled, else you wouldn't be here. The rest is
mostly experience.

https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/-/issues/553#note_582605059