wget-dev

Re: wget | * src/url.c: fix length check (!17)

From: Tim Rühsen
Subject: Re: wget | * src/url.c: fix length check (!17)
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2021 14:08:44 +0000

Tim Rühsen commented:

Thank you for the explanation :-)

I agree that the check in wget is very old and possibly not needed any more. Or
that it should be checked during directory creation for each subdir and then in
a last step, the length of the basename has to be checked.
Not sure what the best algorithm would be.
We hopefully made it better in GNU Wget2 :-)

But anyways, I think your changes are a step forward.

Just for your interest:
E.g. GNU/Linux has a 4095 bytes path length limit, while single components have
a max length of 255 bytes.
GNU/Hurd doesn't have a filename limit.
More to find under https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems.

https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget/-/merge_requests/17#note_523646707